Follow me on Twitter

Follow me on Twitter @unicodavidsmith as much of my (re)tweeting is soccer related, with a healthy dose of CU Buffs (one of my other blogs), football in general and a little poker.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

It's here!

The last week or so has flown by very fast and our departure day is finally here!  The first two days of the 2014 World Cup have been fantastic, full of goals, controversy (stress and pronounce as you please) and most importantly, a Mexico win and three points! The team played very well and the game was well attended by Mexicans and the Croatia game should be quite a party. The energy and atmosphere at the stadiums, and the Fan Fest sites that have been shown, have appeared and sounded phenomenal and I can't wait to be there.  I had planned on writing a little more before I left but this is the last tidbit from the States (I will expound on my experience with Portuguese upon my return). We won't actually arrive until tomorrow after three flights (Denver-Houston, Houston-Rio, Rio-Salvador).  I have some more soccer mags and many books on the Kindle to read on many hours of airport and plane ahead of me.  Although we will miss a few games today and tomorrow (we'll see parts of some before we go and at airport bars), we come home on the off days after the knockout games, before the quarterfinals. We kick off the trip with a bang on Monday with the Germany-Portugal match up at the same beautiful venue in which the Netherlands crushed Espana 5-1 Friday. I am hoping to find some American Outlaw or other Unitedstatesian fans at that game (I'll be wearing my USA shirt) to join after the match to view the Ghana game in a bar somewhere, or maybe we will able to make it out to the Fan Fest.  We have a couple of days to explore Salvador.  We will certainly spend one day in the Pelourinho, the old section of town that includes the markets, many of the historical slave sites and many other points of interest. The other day will likely be spent exploring the beaches to the north of the city, along the Linha Verde (Praia do Forte, Arembepe).  We will definitely sample the local food, especially the regional specialty acaraje and moqueca de peixe.  Salvador is supposed to have some really great ice cream as well. Unfortunately, when we leave, we have a 6:20 AM flight, but we will arrive in Recife with the whole day to chill on the beach.  I will post more from the Cup!  Vamos Mexico!  Go USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment