Follow me on Twitter

Follow me on Twitter @unicodavidsmith as much of my (re)tweeting is soccer related, with a healthy dose of CU Buffs (one of my other blogs), football in general and a little poker.

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Vamos ao Copa do Mundo 2014 em Brasil!

A few years ago my wife Amy and I sent our nephew on a summer “Where There Be Dragons” trip to Brasil*.  I had always wanted to travel to South America and was especially intrigued with that country, even though it was the only one in the continent that spoke a language I didn’t (more on that to come).  Through Bobby, stories of his adventures and the places, people and culture he experienced, we were both convinced that we must visit this vast country ourselves.  Since the World Cup would be hosted there in a couple of years in 2014, we said that we were going to go. I mean where better to see the World Cup than Brasil, and we would check off two huge boxes on the life travel list.  We actually talked about it often and told others of our ambitious plans, and since we are DINKs*, as our friend Marta so often reminds us, we just might be able to pull off this once-in-a-lifetime trip.  Even so, I didn’t know if we actually would, or if it would just be another grand pipedream plan.

Then, last summer we went to the Gold Cup games in Denver between Panama and Canada, followed by Mexico vs. Martinique.  The first game was a bit of a bore, but when the Mexican fans started filling the stadium, the atmosphere completely changed, and the day became one of my favorite sporting memories of my life. It also served as the catalyst of the change from “we’re planning on going to the World Cup” to “We ARE going to the World Cup in Braaaaaa-ziiiiillL!” (I will post the piece I wrote about that day sometime in the near future).
We started saving money a little more consciously and looking into the details of the country and the Cup.  We devoured the FIFA site, checked a few books out from the library and sought out anyone who had been to Brazil, to begin researching the host cities.  The tickets wouldn’t go on sale until August, and it would be done in phases, some lottery and some on a “first come” basis.  The country is SO HUUUUUGE, even bigger than I had ever imagined; what looks so close on any map ends up being 700 miles by air and 900 driving.  We realized we would need to narrow down to a region or two to visit.  We knew that we wanted to spend some time in Rio, as well as Salvador, where Bobby had spent a good portion of his trip, and then some time in a beach city-Fortaleza, Natal, and Recife became the early favorites. 

The FIFA ticket process involves a series of phases of tickets becoming available at different times, some by lottery, and some on a first come basis. We actually let the first ticket lottery (August-October) pass by as we weren’t quite sure what we wanted to do and where we wanted to go yet, and frankly I just wasn’t on top of it as it was still almost a year in advance.  We knew we would have to decide on an itinerary by the second window, which would be a first come first serve ticket grab on November 11.  We eventually settled on Rio, Salvador and, after speaking with someone who has a friend there, Recife, a beautiful beach town up the coast from Salvador.

I will continue to chronicle our adventure as we prepare for trip, and then while we live it in Brasil (computer and internet willing), from the ticketing process, our travel plans and pitfalls, to our support for both Mexico and the USofA, as well as my struggles with learning the Portuguese language, our introduction to Brazilian culture and even some sharks.

Also follow me on twitter @unicodavidsmith as much of my (re)tweeting will be World Cup related moving forward (with a healthy dose of CU Buffs, football in general and a little poker), plus I will try to post a lot of pictures and updates from Brasil and the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment